May 2, 2009

How to get ants out of the sugar

get ants out of the sugarThe sugar moat


I pulled the sugar out of the dispensa (pantry) and the lid fell off on the floor. Darn! Someone put it away without making sure the lid was on tight. Of course it was full of hormigas locas (crazy ants). Thousands of these crazy ants will arrive from miles away if one crumb, one drop of sweetened drink, one grain of sugar is left on the counter or floor. Apparently they have teams who check every container, every package, every day for that lucky day when they can finally gain access.

But, this is no problem for La Gringa. She knows the magic trick.

I cannot remember where I learned this tip. If one of you readers told me about it, please tell me so I can give you proper credit.

Place the sugar container into a larger container which holds about two inches of water. Within a few hours, all of the ants will gone. Where they go or how they go, I have no idea. I also have no idea, if they are able to leave by traversing the moat, why they don't return over the water in the moat, but they don't.

It's magic.


P.S. If the ants are in the unopened plastic bag, pour the contents into a plastic container first. The bag isn't waterproof sealed, which is the reason that the ants can get in in the first place. Ask me how I know.

P.S.S. If you are thinking that you would just throw the sugar away... well, plan on throwing out a lot of sugar when you are in Honduras.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...