January 28, 2007

We have a winner!

We have a winner to La Gringa's What is it? contest announced on Wednesday.

Just for fun, I'll show you another view of the contest photo item and let you think about it for a minute:




Any new ideas?

That's okay. I'll wait while you think about it . . . .

. . . .

. . . .

Here's are two pictures from today, five days after the contest picture:




The answer is new growth unfurling on a sago palm (common name). Cycas revoluta is the Latin name and the species that I think this one is, also called Japanese sago palm.

Taaa Daaaah! And the winner is Annie in Austin! Technically the first part of Annie's answer was a question, but I'll accept it. ;-D

Is this some Honduran variety of Cycad? The photo resembles Sago palms when they are unfurling.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

I don't know if it is a Honduran variety, so I wasn't looking for the exact species, just 'new' or 'unfurling' growth on a Sago or Cycad and you got it!

Congratulations, Annie! Now I'm going to have to go shopping to see what I can find for you. Send me an email, please, with your address.

The most interesting thing about Cycads is that they are among the oldest plants in the world and can be traced back to prehistoric times − they were here with the dinosaurs. Even though they look similar to a palm, they are not related to palms but are actually related to pines.

Although Cycads are always described as very slow growing, this burst of growth includes 45 new fronds! Here are a couple of close ups of the new leaf growth unfurling.



Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...