October 19, 2006

So damn hot!


It is so damn hot! I know I don't deserve any pity. Some of you already have snow. Many have had a hard frost and have lost all your veggie plants. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't complain, but the temperature has really been unbearable lately.

This week the inside of the house has been 85°F plus (30°C) when I go to bed at night (sometimes at 2:00 a.m.!). Couple that with 86% humidity and it is a living hell.

At 6:00 p.m., it is dark and the outside temperature is still 84°F (29°C) with only 74% humidity which gives a heat index or "real feel" temperature of 92°F (34°C).

Right now my bedroom is 88°F (31°C) with 80% humidity. I wish I knew how to calculate that "real feel" temperature of the inside temperatures so I could really wallow in my suffering minute by minute.

The only reason I even get out of bed in the morning is because it is so damn hot that I can't sleep. But once I get up, get dressed, make the coffee, and feed the animals, I'm drenched with sweat and have no energy to do anything else. Even the dogs hardly do more than lay panting on the cool ceramic tiles. Occasionally, they get up and lick the sweat off my legs.

We actually ran our air conditioner four nights last week. That's about three times more than we usually run it in a month. Electricity is expensive here and besides it goes out all the time. For the first hour that the air conditioner runs, all it does is reduce the humidity − but what a difference that makes!

La Prensa said today that San Pedro Sula (about 2 hours drive from here) has reached 104°F (40°C) and that it is a result of El Niño heating the ocean. They say the heat which began on October 10 should diminish by November. Jeesh! Will I live that long?

I read on Saratica's blog that people who complain live longer. I would have thought it was the other way around, but I guess that by complaining, I am getting all that anger or stress out of my system.

Okay. I should live a good long time then, I guess.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...