August 27, 2006

No power again

We woke up this hot Sunday morning to find we have no electricity. It is 87°F (31°C) with 84% humidity at 9 a.m. That's usually about a "feels like 99°F" from Weather.com. Not that we would be cooler if we had power − we never use the A/C during the day − but we do have ceiling fans in most of the rooms and that helps a lot to make you feel more comfortable.

Usually when the power is scheduled to be off there is a warning in the newspaper the day before so I get up early to make the coffee. This time there wasn't, so I made coffee on our 2-burner propane stove. It wasn't very good, but at least it gave me that jolt that I need in the morning.

Oh, for a Starbucks and an ice-cold frappuccino! I think I'll write them to tell them about the thousands of tourists dying for Starbucks in La Ceiba. It could work. Although I did once write WalMart, as a stockholder no less, to ask for a store and didn't get any kind of decent response other than "check our website."


So anyway, I'm back to blogging by hand. I've already drafted two articles. In a way, my writing seems to flow better through pen and paper than it does through the keyboard. I think I spend less time worrying about grammar and punctuation and typos so I write faster and maintain my train of thought better. (Although reading over this article before I post it, I have to question the 'train of thought' part!)

I then type it up and edit it later on the computer. It makes me feel less pressured when I have a little inventory of articles in the works. Especially for those times when I'm not in the mood to write or don't have any inspirations. It is amazing to me how many bloggers write about other blogs. Some write about bloggers who write about bloggers who .... well, you get the idea. What's the point?


It's very common not to have power on Sundays in Honduras. La ENEE (the government-run power company) says that they perform maintenance on those Saturdays and Sundays, trimming trees that interfere with the lines or changing out wires or transformers. I always think that it is just a ploy to save electricity because why else would the power be turned off sometimes in more than a third of the country to trim a few trees or change a line or two?

I've also noticed that since our new president came into office in January, there haven't been any scheduled Sunday outages. La ENEE either no longer performs maintenance in La Ceiba or no longer cares how much electricity we are using. There have been many more unplanned outages than the year before so maybe they do need to do some maintenance.

Oops, I have to go fill the pila (concrete wash sink) before our neighborhood water tank runs out of water.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...